Saturday 7 September 2013

Chocolate Cashew Fudge

Every once in a while, I pause and look back at all the posts I've done till now. I've said it before, but it always amazes me how I, who had never opened a recipe book till some time back, today, write a food blog. Yes, sometimes, truth is stranger than fiction.


So, today I take you back to one of the recipes that started it all. It was a few years back when I happened to catch Nigella Lawson for the first time on TV. With all her coquettish charm, she would make this fudge and it looked so easy that it convinced me, the kitchen ignoramus, to give it a shot. Such was the success of this recipe back then, that it compelled my sister to buy me my first cookery book. It would be "Nigella Express" with the words, "Now, no more excuses... happy cooking!!"
 
 
Last week, I got a chance to revisit this recipe for a dear friend's daughter's birthday. This recipe cannot get easier. You need to bash the nuts with a rolling pin and then melt the condensed milk along with the chocolate and leave to set. 10 minutes of your time and you will have a batch of chocolate fudge that can never go wrong!
 
The fudge is chewy, chocolaty, rich and a small piece goes a long way. The nuts are a welcome visual and textural contrast. The nuts can be of your choice or you can get creative and use a combination of nuts and dried fruits.
 
 
But, the best compliment this recipe got was from the young ladies, for whom it was intended. I am told they don't eat nuts but when it came to this fudge, there wasn't even a murmur of disapproval. Even better, according to the mother, my cooking skills were given a '5-star' rating!! Need I say more?!??


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chocolate Cashew Fudge

Adapted from Nigella Lawson's 'Nigella Express'

Makes approximately 50 pieces of fudge
 
Ingredients:
  • 350 gms dark chocolate, chopped
  • 1 x 400 gms can condensed milk (In India, one can use 'Nestle' or 'Amul Mithai Mate')
  • 2 tablespoon butter, unsalted
  • pinch of salt
  • 150 gms cashew nuts (you can also use pistachios, roasted almonds, or a combination of all)
Directions:
  • Put the nuts into a plastic bag and bash them with a rolling pin, until the nuts are broken up into uneven pieces.
  • Place the chopped chocolate, condensed milk, butter and salt in a heavy-based saucepan on a low heat and stir to melt.
  • Once the chocolate is completely melted, take it off the heat. Add the nuts to the melted chocolate mixture and stir well to mix.
  • Pour and level this mixture into a foil tray, 23 cm square, smoothing the top.
  • Let the fudge cool and refrigerate until set. (This will take atleast 4-5 hours. Preferably, leave it overnight). Once set, the fudge will come off the foil and you can cut it into pieces.
  • Once cut, store the fudge in the refrigerator.

18 comments:

  1. This looks so good, love cashews. Home made fudge is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I love chocolate of all kinds and this fudge with cashews looks delish! Personally, I love nuts of most kinds but I also love making something with nuts where people who don't normally like it, like it! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha.. this one is so chocolaty and chewy, the little ones couldn't bother with their annoyance with the nuts!! :) Drop by again!

      Delete
  3. I love fudge! absolute gorgeous photography

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simi!!! :)) and who doesn't love fudge?!? :)

      Delete
  4. OMG this is so easy, or it seems so easy> i am so going to try it. With my little one in tow! Will try it this weekend and keep you posted.

    Oh, how I wished you lived close by where I could come for tea and these delish desserts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Garima!! this is really as easy as it looks!! Vedika will just love it.. am not sure whether samika is up for this kind of stuff!! Mail me if you have any questions.. but its so easy.. it doesn't get easier!!

      And how I wish I had more of my friends living close by.. It would make life so much simpler for me.. and as for your little ones.. I'd smother them with all my stuff!! :))

      Delete
  5. Hi

    Nice Recipe. I tried this today,everything went fine. However, the moment I take the Fudge out of fridge even for a minute it is becoming Gooey.. Is this how it is supposed to be or did I miss any step?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sowjanya, no it should not be gooey..in fact it should cut neatly like the pieces in the photographs!! Keep it in the fridge for longer.. atleast 4-5 hours, even overnight.. it will let the chocolate set completely. and then it will just peel off.. and you will be able to cut it easily. Please do get back to me and tell me if it worked out properly.. or if you are still having problems?? cheers!

      Delete
  6. Okay Will try that.. The taste was Yummy so everybody finished it already LOL. Will try again and keep you posted on how it worked

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahhahaaa.. oh dear!! already finished!! so I know you'll be making it again.. it should set though.. maybe it needed a longer set in the fridge!!

      Delete
  7. Anyway next in my list is to try the Lemon Pudding.. I have a question though.. Should I make only Individual servings or on big serving and then can cut and serve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make individual servings ... its much neater. In one big serving.. it wont cut so well.. because you have the sauce at the bottom.. that will make it kind of messy!!! Make them in oven proof glass bowls.. that works just as fine!! Please do tell me how it goes.. :))

      Delete
    2. I will try and tell you for sure

      Delete
  8. Hi,

    I tried this recipe and have posted it here http://sowjhomekitchen.blogspot.in.. The pics are not great as yours though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow.. just had a look.. it looks fantastic!! glad you enjoyed the recipe!

      Delete
  9. I just looked for a recipe for fudge and found this. Gonna make it tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...