Thursday 26 February 2015

Dark Chocolate And Fig Biscuits

If you enjoy reading as much as I do, you will most likely identify with what I have to say. I buy new books at a much faster rate than I finish reading the books I already have. When I hear about a book or read a good review or listen to an author talk about their work or spend an hour or two at the bookshop, invariably I'd pick up a book or two. And for some reason, if I don't get the time to catch up with my reading, the pile of unread books just grows.
 
With the elections last year, much of my reading was political and non-fiction. So, at the beginning of the year, when I took stock of my books, I realised that pile of fiction had really, really grown. A few of my favourite authors from Kazuo Ishiguro to Alex Rutherford to Amitav Ghosh are releasing their new books this year. It makes sense that I should tackle some of my unread books before I buy any more new books. It's a different matter that the day after I made the resolution, I spent an hour at the book store and picked up two new books. I need help! Tell me, I am not the only one guilty of this??
 
 
And these biscuits are perfect to have nearby when you curl up with a good book on a lazy afternoon. Nothing extraordinary about them but there are comforting and cosy as only biscuits baked at home can be.
 
These are flavoured with dark chocolate chunks and chopped dried figs. I have used demerara sugar because I want to increasingly use raw and demerara sugar for my regular home baking. I rather leave the refined, white stuff for special occasions. For anyone in India wondering, FabIndia sells both raw and demerara sugar that can be used for baking.
 
 
The biscuits are just how I like them. Not too crunchy nor too soft and not too sweet. If you like, use any other dried fruit of your choice but don't let go of the dark chocolate. It's always nice to encounter a chunk of dark chocolate in your biscuit.
 
The biscuits taste better the next day and hold up very well for a week. I am sure you will enjoy them.
 
 
I have just started reading Richard Flanagan's 'The Narrow Road to the Deep North'. It got itself recommended after it won the Booker. It's still early days to pass an opinion on the book. What's been occupying your bed side table these days??
 

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dark Chocolate and Fig Biscuits

Makes about 12-15 biscuits. Source : Popina Book of Baking.
 
Ingredients:
  • 50 gms unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 80 gms demerara caster sugar (you can use regular white sugar too)
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 egg
  • 70 gms, soft, dried figs, chopped
  • 50 gms dark chocolate, chopped (you can also use chips)
  • 130 gms plain flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Directions:
  • Pre-heat the oven to 160 deg C. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
  • Cream the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
  • Add the vanilla and egg and mix well.
  • Stir in the figs and chopped chocolate.
  • Mix the flour and baking powder in a separate bowl, then gently fold into the wet ingredients.
  • Take a generous teaspoon of the dough and place on a prepared baking tray. Flatten slightly, then repeat with the remaining dough, spacing the dough balls well apart as they will spread a bit while baking.
  • Bake in a pre-heated oven for about 25 minutes or until the biscuits are pale gold.
  • Remove from the oven and leave to cool for a few minutes.
  • Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.

2 comments:

  1. Guilty too! And not just of buying too many books.
    Also of borrowing from the library, keeping them for ages, paying late fees, and finally returning them unread.

    I love figs but as a migraineur I do not have chocolate. Do you think the recipe will work without chocolate, or any suggestions for a substitute?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha.. Good to know I'm not the only one!!

      Of course, you can leave out chocolate.. its just that I have a weakness for it. You can use dried fruit such as figs/raisins/cranberries in place of the chocolate or even nuts such as almonds/pistas. The basic recipe works with all of these..and oh.. you could also add orange/lemon zest if you like the freshness of citrus!!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...