Friday 29 May 2015

Orange And Dark Chocolate Buttermilk Scones

So, what do you do when Summer shows no signs of ending or abating and you find yourself wanting to bake?? If you've read this blog for a decent period of time, you will know that it is next to impossible to find me in the kitchen in the Summers and even less likely that I switch on the oven.
 
And yet, last weekend I wanted to bake. Am pretty sure it's the heat that's making me behave so out of character. So, on what would feel like the hottest Sunday of the year, I woke up little earlier than usual to bake for breakfast. I like to have the kitchen to myself when I bake and a weekend morning is a good time to get that. Ma did walk in to make herself a cup of tea, bewildered and bemused by all the action, wondering what had gotten into me. But, bake I did and these orange and dark chocolate buttermilk scones were the end result.


I wanted something that was quick, fuss-free, not too much prep time and something a little out of the ordinary for the weekend and these scones ticked all the boxes. Follow the recipe, there is hardly much to do and once you have all the ingredients in front of you, it shouldn't take you more than half an hour to have scones on the breakfast table.

The only issue I had with making them was that because of the heat, the cold butter softened up real quick and the scones were not as flaky as I would have liked them.


But, they top scored when it came to taste. The orange was zesty and bright, perfect for breakfast. And did I hear you ask why chocolate for breakfast. Well, why not, especially when straight out of the oven, the chocolate chunks are little pieces of molten heaven. But if it's too much and I can't see how, you can replace them with raisins.


Fresh out of the oven, we ate them just as they are, washed down with a cup of coffee. But, if you like, you can slather some jam. A berry jam would be good!

It's been a bit quiet around here. Except for this one time, I haven't really ventured into the kitchen this Summer, that seems to be getting hotter and longer with every passing year. I hope you've been  well.. xx.
 


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Orange and Dark Chocolate Buttermilk Scones

Recipe adapted from the blog "Joy the Baker"

Serves 2-3

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons granulated sugar (I used demerara sugar but you can use regular white sugar)
  • 2 teaspoons orange zest
  • 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 6 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter
  • 1 large egg yolk
  • 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons cold buttermilk
  • 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips/chunks
 
Cooking Directions
  • Pre-heat the oven to 220 deg C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.        
  • In a mixing bowl, sift together flour, sugar, orange zest, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Use your fingers to rub the butter and dry ingredients together, until mixture resembles coarse meal.
  • In another bowl, combine egg yolk and buttermilk and beat lightly with a fork.  Add to flour mixture all at once, stirring enough to make a soft dough.  Fold in the chocolate chips.
  • Turn out onto a floured board and knead about 15 times.
  • Transfer the dough to a floured surface and flatten the ball into a disk of one-inch thickness and cut into 8 pieces.
  • Bake for 12-15 minutes, until lightly golden.
  • Remove from the oven and serve them straight away with some jam.

6 comments:

  1. No orange juice in the ingredients ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Rashmi... the recipe didn't have any.. even I was looking out for it. Why don't you replace 2 tablespoons of the buttermilk with orange juice?? That will add to the orange flavour immensely.. and if you do make it ..please do let me know how it turned out!! xx

      Delete
  2. Helloo Helloo!! These look soo good!!! Start doing this professionally already wouldya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaaa... M!!!! Just try it na.. .. I promise it's easier than making pizza dough!! ;)

      Delete
    2. hahahah I'm sure not!! Will do..someday when I feel like a baker in disguise :)

      Delete
    3. hehe.. am serious..its really very simple!! the day you try them.. you'll agree! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...